Re: [Xen-users] Xen: invalid source and/or image destination

Evan Lavelle wrote:
new2xen wrote:
Although starting off well - I'm now hitting

"Unable to retrieve http://127.0.0.1/CentOS_5.1_Final/images/stage2.img "

Reading up a little I have found the using 127.0.0.1 is a bit of a no-no; so
have changed to use the actual IP address; but the problem is the same.

Also read that "ln -s" isn't great either so I have not tried to mount via:

mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /var/www/html/CentOS

Which seems to work (the mounting part) same problem though.

Now - when I first did this I hit: "Unable to retreive
http:/127.0.0.1/images/minstg2.img" but this just went away after a few
attempts and moved onto "stage2.img"...

I have not tried to copy the whole DVD under /var/www/html - perhaps I
should!

No, don't do that. Look at:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/

That's the top level of an Anaconda install tree.

Can you point your web browser at anything on your *local* network that looks like that? If you can, then give that URL to virt-install/manager/whatever. If you can't:

1) mount your DVD in it's normal location, as given by /etc/fstab; let's say it's '/media/dvd'. when you 'ls' it, it should look like the URL above.

2) Find the directory Apache serves files from, go to it. Create a symlink in this directory to '/media/dvd':

> ln -s /media/dvd MYDVD

When you 'ls' MYDVD, it should look like the URL above.

3) Browse to 'http://127.0.0.l/MYDVD'. This should look like the URL above.

4) Start virt-install, supply 'http://127.0.0.1/MYDVD'.

You should never give 127.0.0.1 to the virt-install/virt-manager. It would start up the installation, but wouldn't continue further. The problem is that after the installation is started up, anaconda in the guests looks for the distribution at 127.0.0.1 which is local to the guest and there won't be an installation tree available there. You should always give the ip address of dom0 instead of 127.0.0.1.

--Sadique

I've only done this between two machines, rather than using 127.0.0.1, but I'd be surprised if 127.0.0.1 doesn't work.

You need to paste the error messages you get, and the commands you try, *exactly*. Your commands and error messages don't make sense.

Evan