Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:20:20 +0000
Cc: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:45:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jonathan Ervine wrote:
On Sunday 27 January 2008 18:11:57 Evan Lavelle wrote:
I've just uneventfully installed SLES10 as an HVM DomU (after finding
out, the hard way, that OpenSUSE 10.3 won't install on Intel VT).

Echoing some of Jim's comments too. openSUSE 10.3 absolutely installs on Intel-VT and AMD-V hardware. It's not mentioned anywhere, but what is the Dom0? (I would guess SLES 10?)

The main issue is getting out of the graphical installer; apparently the text installer works. You can, in principle, do this with the shift key, but it's next to impossible in practice. See Ian Jackson's post on xen-devel (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-12/msg00564.html) for various other problems. Ian doesn't say *why* it's necessary to turn off gfxboot; see the other post (http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx/msg00699.html) for details. My own fix was much simpler - install SLES 10 instead :)

Dom0 is Fedora 8, Xen 3.1, so I haven't addressed your other points concerning SLES 10 Dom0's. The issue of looking at DomU's on a dom0 via qemu is interesting, but it doesn't fit in with the way I do things. The Dom0 is practically irrelevant - it's headless, and only exists to create and shutdown DomU's. I imagine that this is a common way to use Xen. Each DomU runs a vnc server, with a remote client somewhere else on the network.

2. Why are you using HVM for this instance rather than paravirtualisation?

It's easier (ha). This box has 7 DomU's, Linux&Windows, all HVM, and all worked out of the box, except OpenSUSE and SLES 10. I can live with the lower performance, and I've had a lot of trouble with PV domU's on F8.

I know KDE has a desktop sharing option that allows you to temporarily share your desktop with another user via VNC. It would be interesting to see if this works. Do any of the usual logs (/var/log/messages etc.) provide any insights into what is going on?

I only installed Gnome. Nothing in the log files, unfortunately. The relevant stuff looks like it should go to .xsession-errors, but that always contains lots of incomprehensible stuff anyway.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity - why is X forwarding via ssh not a viable solution for you?

To some extent, perhaps bloody-mindedness. It works on everything else. I took a break from this yesterday and installed a complete WinXP DomU, with a remote vnc login, in ~90 minutes, without a hitch. Besides, I normally use Windoze as a front-end, so that brings up all sorts of problems to do with Cygwin/ssh/X installation.

BTW - something I forgot to mention in my last post - I can log in from anything, without being root, if I use a failsafe Gnome session. I've just had a quick look on Google for this, and found at least one hit for someone who had the same problem after installing SP1 for SLES10, so I'll chase that up.

- Evan