Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem setting up VNC on SLES10 HVM DomU
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:51:58 +0000
Cc: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:52:39 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Some progress - I can connect over anything (xdmcp, vnc, sdl) if I logon as root, but not otherwise. However, it can't be an authentication problem, since I get well beyond the login screen if I log in as myself. The display doesn't blank until just before it creates the panel at the bottom. I suspect it may be something to do with the gdm PreSession scripts, but I can't see any obvious problems.

jim burns wrote:

I would be very surprised if 10.3 didn't support Intel VT, altho' I've only done SuSE PV installs. Where does it hang, during boot of the cd/iso?

Yes; seems to be a known problem - see these 2:

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx/msg00699.html
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-12/msg00564.html

Presumably you have done the Gnome System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Screensaver (gnome-screensaver-preferences), and -> System -> Power Management (gnome-power-preferences) things, and make sure your timeouts are suitably large, or disabled. Run the program in parenthesis in a 'ssh -X' session from a remote client if your desktop is totally unresponsive. If you move your mouse after the screensaver comes on, does your desktop come back to life? If SDL, vnc, and xdmcp all bring up a screensaver, something must be wrong with your timeouts.

Thanks - I hadn't actually tried the power saving and screensaver stuff, but it turned out not to help. When the screensaver starts up, the mouse just makes the screen go blank again. Oddly, the screensaver seems to start up after a fixed delay of about 8 minutes, whatever the screensaver delay is set to. It's also not the image in the screensaver settings.

Xinetd implies your vnc server is on the domu, instead of the dom0. Have you tried the vnc server built into qemu-dm? (vncviewer localhost:port#)

Yes, I have the server on my DomU's - I haven't actually tried the qemu one. I've got another 4 (RedHat) DomU's where this all worked with no problems.

DISPLAYMANAGER_SHUTDOWN="root"

You realize this refers to xdmcp, not vnc, right?

Yes - very confusing. All the stuff I read about about getting VNC going on suse basically just says that you have to enable remote management in yast, without saying why, or what it does. As far as I can make out, it mainly changes some bits in gdm.conf to do with xdmcp so, as you say, it doesn't seem to be relevant.

My experience with chooser boxes is that they may not see all available hosts on a scan, but if you type in the hostname, you can connect.

Interesting - I did a direct connection without using the chooser and did connect without a problem. The remote X server still has exactly the same problem as the remote VNC client though: the screen just blanks after the login.

Thanks -

Evan