Re: [Xen-users] PPPoE in DomU exits with error

Christian Lyra wrote:
hi

 > Thanks very much for info.I am still working on it because I just cannot
figure it out. In dom0 pppoe is working fine. In domU it is not working.
Same kernel for both. Same automatic setup through pppoeconf.

I am wondering if the problem could be amd64 kernels?

i dont know what to say... but I´m sure that this is not amd64
related, or at least shouldnt be because my setup IS amd64!  but I´m
using a compiled xen 3.1, not the distro package/kernel. Anyway... I
just remember about something very dumb... but doesnt hurt to ask. I
assume that you are using the same kernel on dom0 and on domU right?
did you had copy the /lib/modules/<kernel> from dom0 to domU? as pppoe
is a module, and need to be loaded on domU! on my "firewall" domU I
have:

fwx:~# lsmod
pppoe                  19968  2
pppox                   6672  1 pppoe
ppp_generic            34208  6 pppoe,pppox
slhc                   10112  1 ppp_generic

Hi Christian.

I used xen-tools to create image, so the modules are there. Just to make sure, I just deleted them and copy them over from dom0. It is still the same.I believe that this is related to the hardware. This is real server HP 145 DL2 with PCI-X and I am starting to believe that the PCI-X with AMD chipset is the problem.

I am wondering how come it does work from dom0 and not from domU.

Could you copy me some info from your machine?
ethtool [interface where you run pppoe]

here is my interface:

alsfw01:~# ethtool -i eth2
driver: e1000
version: 7.1.9-k4-NAPI
firmware-version: N/A
bus-info: 0000:00:01.0

alsfw01:~# ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: umbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: yes

Thanks. (I would need some xen guru for this) Where they are???

Jiri