Re: [Xen-users] Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a b

To: Tao Shen <taoshen1983@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Does it legal to analysize XEN source code and write a book about it ?
From: Bastian Blank <bastian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:58:11 +0200
Cc: echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:58:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 02:14:35AM -0600, Tao Shen wrote:
> No its not. XenEnt is not GPL. It does not contain GPL code. It is not a
> community
> developed product. How are they pushing anything? Xen (GPL) and Xen
> (ENT) are two
> completely different code bases from my understanding

Xen Enterprise includes a derived version of the Xen hypervisor and a
proprietary control software.

The hypervisor is GPL -- even XenSource have to ship the sources -- and
is included in the source cds of Xen Server. It includes some binary
incompatible changes, so you can't just plug their hypervisor and the
open sourcen control tools together.

Bastian

--
Killing is stupid; useless!
                -- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8