[Xen-users] disk space at dom0 - problem w/ quick and dirty solution

To: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] disk space at dom0 - problem w/ quick and dirty solution
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:19:21 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 05:17:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

if dom0 ( /var/lib/xen ) is too small to take the save states of all running
domU's, really
ugly things occur if a reboot / xend save eats up the whole disk space.
As recently seen ;) , the domU disks (located on one pv/vg on the same machine)
can't be touched
by dm-mapper anymore and are going to be inconsistent to the device-mapper.
not a big issue, but really disturbing. another issue is, some xml (someone
could shed a light on
me, which exactly) cannot be written and xen/xend/XendStateStore.py refuses to
work around line
110 (in def load_state(self, cls): ). So xend isn't able to start over. As I
didn't know which
xml structure is needed by xend restore, i solved this by deleting the
save/suspend-images and
temporarily adding a return{} directly after load_state(self, cls): to skip the
restore completely.
after starting/stopping xend twice, i removed this return{} and was able to
start the domU's
again.

Just a report, if someone encountered similar problems by getting out of
diskspace in dom0.

--
Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054