Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4.1 AMD-V HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.4.1 AMD-V HVM
From: Holger <Age_M@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:30:58 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:29:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Tony,

first of all, thanks for your reply. The mainboard is a Gigabyte M61P-S3 with a Nvidia nforce430 chipset (+ onboard GeForce6100 VGA). Regarding the bios, it's already the latest version F4 :-/ I also already contacted Gigabytes tech-support, but have no reply yet. Damn, that's totaly pointless when manufactures ignore given specifications. The only reason I switched to AM2 was/is HVM support. Is there any way to override such a problem? Sometimes the kernel just ignores Bios-Options, so is there parameter to fix this, or do I have to wait until either Gigabyte releases a new bios-version with the wanted option available or until I buy a new mainboard!?

Greetz and thanks
Age_M

Tony Hoyle schrieb:
Age_M wrote:
Hey, what's that?? Why is it disabled?? I checked the BIOS and even with the CTRL+F1(extended Bios-Options) I don't see anything related to "virtualization support". Am I just stupid/blind?? Are there Mainboards on the market, that claim to be AM2-compliant but don't support Virtualization??

Yes. Some manufacturers actually do this (especially laptops). It's possible a bios upgrade will reenable the option.

Which motherboard is it?

Tony