[Xen-users] The old booting problem partially solved

To: Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] The old booting problem partially solved
From: "Octavian Teodorescu" <octav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 00:03:20 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:00:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So, I thought that maybe there is something more deeper into CentOS xen
kernel which causes the problem and I have installed a Fedora Core 5
x86_64.
Configured again ns1:
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2316.fc5xenU"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.2316.fc5xenU.img"
builder='linux'

memory = 384
name = "ns1"
vcpus = 1

vif = [ 'mac=00:00:01:02:03:04 , ip=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx, bridge=xenbr0' ]
#vif = [ '', 'bridge=xenbr1' ]
disk = [ 'phy:vg/root.ns1,sda1,w',
         'phy:vg/swap.ns1,sda2,w' ]

#dhcp="dhcp"

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
-------------------------
Started and I also received an error but this time more understandable :) .
This is the last part of the boot messages from guest os (also fedora core
5 base):
INIT: version 2.86 booting
                Welcome to Fedora Core
                Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2316.fc5xenU/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
Setting clock : Wed May 30 16:18:50 EDT 2007 [  OK  ]
Starting udev: [  OK  ]
Setting hostname localhost:  [  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Checking all file systems.
[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /dev/vg/ns1] fsck.ext3 -a LABEL=/
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=/'
[FAILED]
-----------------------
I have some questions:
- I have created a directory under / called vhosts were I intend to mount
the partitions of the guest systems. How does xen know were to mount those
partitions (in this case /vhosts/ns1)? I mean, were should I set this, or
this is just mounting when the system is off for debugging purposes?
Should I mount the partition root.ns1 and then edit the fstab located
there (which I have allready edited, but it seems that I have made a
mistake) ?

fstab of root.ns1:
LABEL=/                 /dev/vg/ns1             ext3    defaults        1 1
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
swap                    /dev/vg/swap.ns1        swap    defaults        0 0

- second question, I know that I have mistaken around here somewhere. Can
somebody enlighten me please?
- what about the kernel-xenU modules error any idea how can I fix that,
since in /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2316.fc5xenU folder there is modules.dep ?

I've solved a couple of this problems (copied from dom0 the modules to
root.ns1; and modified fstab in root.ns1) but I didn't deleted them in
case the info is good for solving the following problem:

although I have set up vif= [....] in the config of the guest when I run
ifconfig -a it sees only the loopback network card. Any idea why? Is it a
operating system problem? or a xen problem?

Thanks.