RE: [Xen-users] Re: simple configs for windows guest

To: "ko0nz" <yesiko0nz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: simple configs for windows guest
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:26:31 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 06:29:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, the "xm vcpu-pin" can be used to restrict which cpu(s) are used for
which domain. "xm vcpu-set" can be used to adjust the number of CPU's
used by a particular guest.

You can also permanently set the number of CPU's used by the guest and
Dom0. For the Guest, you use "CPUS=n-m" or "CPUS=n,m" in the config
file. For Dom0, you can set the number of cpus with "(dom0-cpus n)" in
/etc/xen/xend-cofnig.sxp, which sets the number of CPUS for Dom0. You
can't map which CPU that dom0 uses, but it always starts at the lowest
CPU number.

> an another question:
> what could be the possibility to run a xen server on a (vt or
> pacifica) server ?

You can run Xen inside a HVM virtual machine, yes. You can't use VT/SVM
once your on that VM tho (because neither of those features allow
"nested virtual machines" - there's been a few comments on that subject
in Xen Devel in the last month or so).

> i need to diversify my knowledge...
> i understand that the aim is to have several guest...but on a server
> that is aimed to do one job, what could be the advantage?

I don't quite understand this "question"? The general purpose of Xen is
to run multiple guests, such as one Windows Server as a "Exchange Mail
Server", another guest is the "file-server" [say it's running Samba on
Linux] and a third one is the companies database server running "MS Sql"
on Windows Server. That's just one example.

There is little advantage to running Xen on top of Xen - Mark Williamson
does it for development of the Xen hypervisor, which allows him to use
one machine to run multiple versions of Xen, and also since the
"base-Xen" can "shutdown" errant guest-instances, it allows "remote
reboot" of the Xen system being debugged. But for any "real" scenario,
it's unlikely to be useful.

--
Mats