Re: [Xen-users] xen version compatibility

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen version compatibility
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 02:26:56 +0100
Cc: Dylan Martin <dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:25:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Do you know if you can run dom0 and the hv with different versions?
> E.G. I install the HV from source (3.1.0) and then I use yum to
> update the kernel on dom0 so it's using 3.0.3.

Originally, dom0 kernel and Xen had to be matched.  That's no longer the case
but I'm not entirely sure when this change happened.  I would suspect that
non-matched dom0 and Xen is not a frequently used / well-tested case...

I suspect you can use a dom0 kernel from 3.0.3 with Xen 3.1.0.  I believe you
can use a 3.0.4 dom0 kernel with 3.1.0.

I'm not sure exactly how the tools handle missing support for stuff like
32-on-64 (and how graceful this is), as I have no experience of trying this
sort of configuration.

Good luck :-)

Cheers,
Mark

> > On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 05:53:53PM -0700, Dylan Martin wrote:
> > > If I have a linux kernel on dom0 from xen 3.0.2 and my xen binary is
> > > version 3.1.0, can I expect things to work?  What about if my dom0
> > > kernel and xen binary are both 3.1.0 and I have a para virt domU with
> > > xen 3.0.2 code in?  What about if the tools are from a different
> > > version of xen?
> >
> > The HV <-> DomU  ABI is guarenteed to be stable for the lifetime of
> > 3.x series of Xen releases. So a 3.0.2 guest should work on a 3.1.0
> > hypervisor, and vica-verca. There may, however, be lesser capabilities
> > with certain combinations - for example if you want to run 32-on-64
> > guests, you do need to have 3.1.0 Dom0 kernel due to backend driver
> > changes.
> >
> > > I'm asking because I'm running fedora 6 and I'd like to try out xen
> > > 3.1.0 or 3.0.4 but I don't want to have to manually compile all my
> > > kernels all the time.
> >
> > That should work. We test running Fedora 7 (Xen 3.1.0) guests on a
> > Fedora Core 6 dom0 (3.0.3), and also test FC6 guests on a Fedora 7
> > Dom0. Any problems should be reported as bugs :-)
> >
> > Dan.
> > --
> >
> > |=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston.  +1 978 392 2496
> > | -=| =-           Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/
> > |      -=| =-               Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/
> > |           -=| =-  GnuPG: 7D3B9505   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF
> > | F742 7D3B 9505  -=|

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!