    *From:* xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of
    *Bhatia, Nikhil
    *Sent:* Friday, May 18, 2007 12:15 PM
    *To:* xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    *Cc:* xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    *Subject:* [Xen-devel] Performance Counter Virtualization in Xen

    Hello Xenthusiasts,

    I have a few questions regarding the performance monitoring of
    applications and domains running on the latest version of Xen VMM
    via the performance monitoring counters available in x86
    architectures.

    -          I have used Xenoprof by patching Xen-3.0.2 Xenolinux
    and the Oprofile layer which enabled me to collect performance
    counter values per domain (for a passive domain) and per
    application (for an active domain). I was able to perform the
    profiling via command line interface using Opcontrol and then
    reporting the counters using Opreport. However, I was unable to
    find a way to profile an application (using an API like PAPI)
    because the perfctr port was not available for Xen. Is there a way
    through which applications can be monitored using performance
    counters?

    -          Is there a Xen tool/utility which provides meaningful
    information about per-domain metrics for dynamic memory usage
    (e.g. reserved memory by Xen, total heap size in use, swap space
    reserved per domain etc.), I/O done to/from the disc and the bytes
    sent/received from the network over fixed intervals of time?

    Thanks,

    Best Regards,

    Nikhil

Grüsse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt

IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization
+49 7031/16-3385
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen