Re: [Xen-users] Multiple VMs - one static routable IP address

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Multiple VMs - one static routable IP address
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:28:06 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:26:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:24:24PM -0500, cyber@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I just keep coming back to the original question tho, what do the big VM
> environments do when they have hundreds or more VM's...  are they really
> using up hundreds of routable IP addresses?  Really?

It is best practice to use internal, non-internet-routed IP space
for as much as possible, regardless of virtualisation.

For example, you will have an incredibly hard time trying to pass a
PCI DSS audit when your app servers are on publically routed IP
space, no matter what firewalls you have.

Also what do you consider to be a "big VM environment"?  An
enterprise will tend to have fewer, larger VMs with each one
dedicated to a specific task.  Almost all of that will be on private
IPs.  By contrast a VM hosting company will have vast numbers of
small VMs which will be like mini personal servers often doing
multiple tasks, and they'll all be on publically routed IPs.  Which
would you say is bigger?

Cheers,
Andy