RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU

To: bdubas@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:25:53 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 06:24:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3.0.5 (which has just a few days ago been renamed 3.1.0) is quite stable
at the moment, so it's worth a try. If you're not using "special"
features, I believe that a reasonably recent version of 3.0.5 (like in
the last several weeks) would be good enough [I'm working on HVM
save/restore, which has been broken/fixed several times during the last
few weeks, but that's a new feature for 3.1.0, so not surprising that
it's a bit more fragile than the standard "create/destroy domain"
commands].

> Generally I try to find some person that successfully run Windows with
> more than one working VCPU, and can answer "It work on my machine, on
> Linux XXX, Xen version X.X.X.X", because for now I don't find
> in the net
> such "declaration".

This particular scenario is almost completely related to which version
of Xen used. Whilst there are different versions of Xen included in
different distributions, the distribution itself is of negligable impact
of whether you can run (for example) Windows SMP.

> > 3.0.3, I don't believe has any improvement on the SMP-guest
> capabilities, > but there are some other improvements in the
> HVM support.
>
> I was half successfully run the Windows with two VCPS working
> with acpi=1
> and apic=1 and vcpus=2 on mentioned XEN 3.0.3 version. Here is the
> scenario how the guest behave (for this ones that will try to
> the same as
> me) :
> 1. Booting install CD, partition disk, copy required files, rebot.
> 2. Booting form HDD and when the splash show the 'xm
> vcpus-list' inform
> that my quest using both VCPUs. But whne the progress bar is
> shown and the
> text 'installing drivers' it's hang.

You'll probably find that there's some information in "xm dmesg" that
tells you that some opcode isn't supported in the MMIO handling - I
think that's the case here.

--
Mats