RE: [Xen-users] Solaris 10 HVM DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Solaris 10 HVM DomU
From: Steve Brueckner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 15:17:55 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:16:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Approach 1 (paravirtualized) seems to work fairly well out of the box
>> with Linux as a dom0 and using Linux-xen, even though they say you
>> need to use the modified Solaris-xen.  However, networking doesn't
>> work yet; I'm guessing the modified OpenSolaris doesn't have drivers
>> for the virtual NIC provided by Xen to the VM.  I may need to ask
>> about that on the OpenSolaris mailing list.
>
> Cool to see that you've got this working.  What are you using as a
> disk image?
> SolarisExpress?  I've been wanting to try out Nexenta at some stage,
> but haven't got round to it yet.

I'm using an OpenSolaris image provided at the top of this page:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/xen/How-To-8-15-06/install/AugDomUs/
Unfortunately, it isn't PAE-enabled, so it won't work with the latest
versions of Xen.  Apparently Solaris-32 is now PAE-capable, so I've posted
a message on the OpenSolaris board requesting an update to the image.

>> Approach 2 (HVM) is going less well so far.  After much patience I've
>> been able to install Solaris 10 onto an empty disk image using qemu
>> (it's very very slow and the Solaris 10 install process doesn't match
>> their documentation and is in fact broken in one part).  It will run
>> in qemu but again the network doesn't work with either the default
>> qemu virtual NIC or the realtek qemu virtual NIC.  Furthermore, when
>> I try to boot the image using Xen I get nowhere, with an error about
>> my qemu image's format.
>
> What's the error you're seeing?

Hmm, the error seems to no longer occur, probably user error.  It looks
like the domU is booting but still inaccessible.

>> And even if I could get the qemu image to boot using Xen, it's unlikely
>> the network would be up, giving me no way to interface with it.
>> Maybe I could figure out how to have Solaris put a console on the serial
>> port, but I'm a Solaris newbie so it's going very slowly.
>
> Well, to start with you could export the guest's framebuffer over
> VNC.  Once you've figured out getting the console on the serial port,
> you should be able to just use xm console to log in.

I've been trying to get the framebuffer approach to work, with limited
success.  I can get the domU's grub window to pop up, but once it starts
to boot Solaris the console turns black and freezes.

Googling around has shown very little explanation or documentation of how
this virtual framebuffer stuff works, so I may be doing something wrong.
I set the following in the config file:

vfb=["type=vnc"]
vnc=1
vncunused=1
vncdisplay=1
vncconsole=1
usbdevice='tablet'

>> I have had success with HVMs for
>> WinXP, Win2003, and FC6, so I think my machine and Xen version are up
>> to the task if I could get Solaris to behave.
>
> What hardware is this?  Intel VT-x or AMD-V?

Intel VT-x