Re: [Xen-users] LVM?

To: Jordi Espasa Clofent <sistemes.llistes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] LVM?
From: Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 17:50:36 +0100
Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:50:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 06:34:13PM +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> >>Ok. Indeed I think in create a dedicate LV for /var/lib/xen/images dir.
> >
> >Don't! Just allocate as much space as you need for dom0 itself from the
> >VG and then create a separate LV for each domU filesystem as needed. LVM
> >is recommended over loop file images.
>
> Marcin,
>
> First of all, I'm sorry for this private message; I wanted to response
> you into the public XEN mail-list but I mistook.

Ccing xen-users, to give others a chance to comment.

> Ok... let me understand your explanation... Currenty, I have this
> partition scheme (according to df command):
>
> S. fitxers          Blocs   1K     Usats   Lliures  %Ús Muntat en
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                       75799584  18643672  53243416  26% /
> /dev/hdb1               101086     30845     65022  33% /boot
> tmpfs                   478028         0    478028   0% /dev/shm
>
> So... ?what is the correct way you consider? ?Is this partition scheme
> functional or I must consider another design in other clean-instalation
> (whole SO)?

The way I do it is create a /boot for GRUB, and a volume group taking up
the rest of the disk. On the VG, create just two small LVs for dom0 -
one for swap and another for root filesystem. Then you have the rest of
the VG for domUs, etc.

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>              http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216

"Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail."
                                                              -- Unknown