Re: [Xen-users] X86_64 and 4GB RAM

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:18:49AM +0100, John Hannfield wrote:
Hello,

> Well I tried the grub 0.97 patches. I recompiled grub with both patches,
> then replaced the etch grub withthe new .deb. Then re-installed grub
> stages on the disk with
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)

That patches only touches stage2 file, reinstalling whole grub (setup
command) wasn't necessary.

> Now if I reboot the machine at at the live grub prompt, I do a displaymem,
> it says:
>
> EISA Memory BIOS Interface is present
> Address Map BIOS Interface is present
> Lower memory: 631K, Upper memory (to first chipset hole): 3144640K
>
> There are no address ranges given.
> So it looks like it only sees 3 GB.

It's exactly like (non-patched) grub 0.97 on my system.
Please do one more try. Get stage2 file from
http://kupson.net/grub/stage2
and put in /boot/grub/stage2. Then run displaymem command in grub.

> If I run grub from the booted system, on the command line, it gives
> the ranges, and also the debug info from the patched version of grub.

That's fake memory map, not the BIOS one. It's not related to problem.

> any ideas on where to go from here?

You can try another multiboot compatible boot loader, grub2[1] maybe.
Is there any newer BIOS version for your motherboard?

> Is it normal for it to only show Upper memory (to first chipset hole):
> 3144640K at the grub boot menu?

Yes, that line is normal, but there should be memory region above
address 4G (in displaymem), just like the one in plain linux kernel.

Kupson
[1]. I find it difficult to setup on my system.
--
Great software without the knowledge to run it is pretty useless.
(Linux Gazette #1)