Re: [Xen-users] dom0 networking disabled

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 07:02:27AM -0500, Kirk Brown wrote:
> Hi jez, thanks for the advice - it worked perfectly. To clarify for others
> having the same problem - I was using the xen bridge script which would
> kill the networking for Dom0, but work with the DomU's. The fix was to
> *not* use xen's bridging.
>
> My original /etc/network/interfaces looked like this:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>
> and in the xend-config, I had:
> (network-script network-bridge)
>

> The fix was to set up the bridge directly in /etc/network/interfaces by
> changing eth0 to:
>
> auto xenbr0
> iface xenbr0 inet static
>         address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>         bridge_ports eth0
>
> and use the network-dummy in xend-config:
> (network-script network-dummy)
>
> Reboot and everything comes up OK.

Excellent!

Just wanted to add that Tim Post makes some good suggestions elsewhere
on this thread about other parameters you might want to add to your
bridge configuration. There's a short explaination of each of these,
and a few others, in /usr/share/doc/bridge-utils/README.Debian.gz.

jez