[Xen-users] dom0 freezes under high IO load - HP ML150 G2

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] dom0 freezes under high IO load - HP ML150 G2
From: Daniel Mealha Cabrita <dancab@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:27:56 -0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:13:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi there,

        Does anyone have have suggestions on how to proceed in this case?

        I've experiencing dom0 (xen 3.0.3, xen-3.0.4 and 3.0.4-testing) lockups
under
heavy disk load (testing under dom0 directly).
The hardware is a HP ML150 G2 with a HP 4ch SATA fakeraid (OEM Adaptec 1420SA,
sata_mv driver).
        The machine does not respond to network, keyboard not anything
noticeable
when it happens.

        I've tried passing a number of parameters to kernel but no success. The
ones
below even make things worse, causing a CPU0 soft lockup during boot:
kernel = (hd0,0)/xen-3.0.4 dom0_mem=384M acpi=off noapic nolapic

        The disks runs in Linux kernel RAID5. High load to/from an individual
disk
(the max an individual SATA HD can handle) does not cause any problem.

        Also, I've noticed that just after booting the machine does not respond
pings nor anything from the network. If I locally ping from that to another
host, the network starts working. OR, if I wait enough time (several
minutes), the machine's network starts to respond normally.

        I've got no soft lockups logged in /var/log/messages. Nor anything
strange
enough to call my attention.

        The problem does not happen with a non-Xen kernel.
        The machine firmware (BIOS if you like) is updated to the latest
version.
        Disabling all the non-essential hardware (USB, serial/parallel ports,
IDE
ports, powersaving etc) makes no difference.

        When not under high disk load the machine seems stable, with several
domU VMs
running happily under it.

--
 Daniel Mealha Cabrita