Re: [Xen-users] Remote access to domU console using vnc

To: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Remote access to domU console using vnc
From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:09:41 +0000
Cc: Mike Wright <xktnniuymlla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:08:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kraska, Joe A (US SSA) wrote:
>> Hmmm.  Where do I actually do this?  All I have on dom0 is an ssh
>> session -- it's completely headless; there's no GUI at all.  And the
>> domU isn't even installed yet.
>
> I think you want to do the qemu install technique instead.
>
> Do you have the image file or partitition already ready?
>
> Here's the partition based technique:
>
> % qemu -hda <path-to-image-file> -cdrom /path/to/myiso.iso -boot d -vnc
> <localhostip>:2

It seems there is an alternative solution, at least for getting me
through the installation.  I have set up an ssh tunnel from my
desktop machine (where I am running the vncviewer) forwarding port
5900 to localhost:5900 on dom0 on the remote server.  Connecting
vncviewer to localhost:5900 now gives me a console on my domU :)

Once I have the domU installed, is there no way to configure xen to
allow remote vnc sessions to the domU console directly (the domU
won't be running X on it's virtual console, so I don't think running
a vnc server inside domU is an option).

James