RE: [Xen-users] Xen support for AMD's IOMMU

To: "Daniel McAllansmith" <dm.maillists@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen support for AMD's IOMMU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:35:01 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:34:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There should be no need to modify any of the guest-OS's driver. IRQ
delivery will have to be handled via the hypervisor, but the guest
should "know no difference (compared to real hardware)". Aside from a
little extra latency, there shouldn't be any real difference (and most
modern hardware allows you to fire off more than one piece of work
before an interrupt need to be acknowledged, so there shouldn't be any
BIG performance hit).

To clarify: the hypervisor interaction is necessary, as the guest
waiting for the interrupt may not be running at the time of the
interrupt. So the HV takes the interrupt, and forwards a "virtual"
interrupt to the guest. The guest then accesses the hardware as it sees
fit, just like in "real hardware". The other difference will be that the
interrupt controller itself is emulated in the hypervisor - in this case
because there is only ONE real interrupt controller in the system, so
the hypevisor needs to:
1. Make sure the interrupt controller is still working correctly for
other guests (i.e. if one guest disables all interrupts, no other guest
would ever run after that - we don't really wish for that, do we?)
2. Be able to control the interrupt controller for it's own purposes to
allow the hypervisor full control of the hardware.

--
Mats