Re: [Xen-users] RE: RE: can XEN be extended ?

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:48:09AM -0800, anant wrote:
> You are not getting what i am trying to ask..

No, you are not getting the answers.

> The drivers which we want to add retrieves additional hardware info from the
> system like for instance fan speed.
> Here i am not asking how to write drivers, Drivers are already developed
> here but at the moment they are supported on Windows OS by retreieving
> additional info from WMI(which WMI doesnt retrieve itself) in windows.
>
> So similarly, we want to include those drivers in Linux or Xen (which ever
> is appropriate) to retrieve those additional info like fan speed, sys temp n
> all.

If you can include them in Linux now then you should be able to
include them in your xen-patched Linux dom0 kernel, since it is
still Linux and this is where all other drivers are.

> At the moment i am not sure about what all drivers we want to add but that
> doesnt really matter as my question is just to know wether we can add our
> own drivers or not ?

Yes, to Linux.  The Xen dom0 kernel is just a Linux kernel with Xen
patches applied.  it is still Linux.  Drivers are written for Linux.
You need to write drivers for Linux.

Mkae your drivers work in plain vanilla Linux.  Then apply Xen
patches.  They will likely apply cleanly, or with only minor
conflicts if your devices are quite self contained.  Then your
drivers should work in Xen dom0.

> If yes then is there any SDK for XEN or how can we achieve that.

This is not a xen question hence a xen sdk is irrelevant.

Cheers,
Andy