Re: [Xen-users] howto install from cd/network/image/foo with 3.03

To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] howto install from cd/network/image/foo with 3.03
From: Marc Teichgraeber <radar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:25:11 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:25:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
  Hi,

Nice to know how the SuSE-guys do it, but i tried to install an
9.3-guest on the 10.2-host and it failed.

Isn't going to work paravirtualited, at least not with the xen kernel
shipped with 9.3.  It is simply too old and doesn't support xen 3.0.
Also the install-initrd package isn't present yet in that version.

I know. Normally I rsync the old real machines in the loop-mounted directorys in the Xen-Host and boot the old operating-systems with the Xen-kernel of the guest after i synced the /lib/modules/kernel-xen-foo into the guest. Just works fine most of the time except the guest-system is to old. But in this case i wanted a shiny new 9.3 directly installed in my 10.2-host
But I want to know how the general way in Xen 3.0.3 is to boot from
installation media of any kind.

There isn't none for paravirtualized guests.

I dont understand what u mean. In Xen 3.0.29... there was this option to flag one device as cdrom and the set the parameter "boot = 'd'" which maked the instance top boot from this device. this doesnt work anymore in 3.0.3. As far as my Information is.
With fully virtualized guests you can just boot from the cdrom, same as
installing a physical machine.
How, thats my question.
question come up often on this list. Like "Hey, whats happened to this
option "boot='d'", it didnt work anymore." But no Answers. Or Answers

Hmm, have to try that, worked for me last time I did, but I don't
reinstall my virtual machines each day ...
We are using Xen 3.0.295... and Xen 3.0.3 in production here in my company. I'm installing/spawning maybe 6 to 9 instances a week for the last weeks. Actually new ones and also virtualizing old hardware into instances to get space in the racks. And the rate is going up ...

Xen ist totally great, but in the Moment it lacks a bit of dokumentation it seems to me.

cheers,
  Gerd

radar

Marc Teichgräber