Re: [Xen-users] boot from a CD fails

> On 1/17/07, Rob Aronson <raronson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  I have openSUSE 10.2 with a dualcore intel cpu. I'm trying to run full
> > virtualization, for some reason I can't get the vm to boot from an ISO
> > image that has a opendos boot loader. The vm starts and it says booting
> > from cd and then just hangs there. I've tried a coupld of cds and a
> > couple of different iso files.
>
> It's quite well known that hvm does not simply boot jsut any random OS.
> Only Windows Install Media and some linuxes work well, but even some
> linux live CD's have problems.

I've just had a thought...

Rob's got an Intel dual core CPU.  Due to implementation differences, Intel
CPUs currently have problems with some realmode emulation under Xen. [As I
recall, this is because they don't directly support virtual machines running
in real mode.  AMD's implementation does, so it works fine e.g. on my
machine.  The Xen software emulation of real mode on Intel platforms doesn't
do quite enough to deal with SuSE's graphical bootloader, I think I remember
this being said before]

Anyhow, the simplest solution is to use Qemu to install the VM.  If the
resulting VM boots on Xen, then you're all set, otherwise you'll have to
tweak the bootloader to not do so much hairy stuff (or replace it with
another on).

Fancy trying this?

Cheers,
Mark