Re: [Xen-users] How can I make Xen work with a patched kernel?

To: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How can I make Xen work with a patched kernel?
From: Peter Fokkinga <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:52:32 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:52:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I added a couple of small patches to Linux kernel 2.6.16.33 (just some minor modification to kernel for testing purpose) and I want Xen 3.0.4 to use this patched kernel instead of the original kernel Could anyone explain what I should do to make Xen work with this patched kernel?

Quoting Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I added a couple of small patches to Linux kernel 2.6.16.33 (just some minor modification to kernel for testing purpose) and I want Xen 3.0.4 to use this patched kernel instead of the original kernel Could anyone explain what I should do to make Xen work with this patched kernel?

You have to install Xen (and kernel(s)) from source, something
along these lines:
1. download and untar Xen sources
2. copy your patches to patches/linux-2.6.16.33 (what I do is copy the
   incremental patches from Adrian Bunk, files like patch-2.6.16.33-34
   patch-2.6.16.34-5 etc)
3. add the filenames of your patches to patches/linux-2.6.16.33/series
4. make distclean
5. make prep-kernels
6. configure your kernel that is in linux-2.6.16.33 (I use make menuconfig)
7. make dist
8. cd dist && ./install.sh

Hope this helps, Peter