Re: [Xen-users] synchronization with AoE

To: dbareiro@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] synchronization with AoE
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:24:21 +0800
Cc: Users/Installers of Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:24:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 18:06 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm using AoE to export a ReiserFS partition that contains a file-backed
> VBDs of a DomU to perform tests of migration between two xen host. The
> three systems have Debian GNU/Linux Etch.

You'd do better off using LVM backed VBD's and exporting them
individually. Unless your (main) holding partition is using a cluster
FS, this will lead to a melt down.

You would need to use something like ocfs2 (easy) or gfs (a little
trickier) or clvm (inbetween) to accomplish this. The partition that
holds the file backed VBD's *must* be a cluster file system.

> Both writes and deletes of files in the file-backed VBD DomU works
> synchronized, but the problem seems to be when I want to create a file
> in the exported partition together with the file-backed VBDs DomU. In
> this case, doesn't seem syncronize with the rest of the both import and
> export servers.

Again, you can not mount (in rw mode) *any* partition that is not
formatted as a cluster file system from two computers.

> Is it possible to perform this writes and deletes in synchronized mode too?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'd just make smaller volume groups, and copy over the loops to their
respective new homes (the smaller VG's).