Re: [Xen-users] Motherboard suggestions for Core 2 Duo running Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Motherboard suggestions for Core 2 Duo running Xen
From: Hugo Brites <hugo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:18:23 +0100
Cc: Michael Crider <mcrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>, opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 04:14:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 15 September 2006 14:57, Michael Crider wrote:
> We purchased a box with a Core 2 Duo (E6400) for the purpose of running
> Windows Server 2003 on Xen. The motherboard that came in the box was an
> Intel DG965RY, using the G965 chipset. We chose Suse 10.1 (we used
> x86_64) as the host operating system primarily because it was the only
> distro that would install. We have determined that the PATA controller
> and the network adapter on the motherboard are not currently Linux
> compatible (initially solved by using a Broadcom network adapter and a
> USB CD-ROM drive). We then figured out that Suse chose the "VESA
> Framebuffer Graphics" driver for the video adapter, which does not work
> under the Xen kernel. Does anybody have a suggestion of a motherboard or
> chipset that is compatible with the Xen kernel that will accept the
> E6400 CPU?
> Thanks.
> Michael

Hi,

 I've playing around with an Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4, and it is currently working
nice. I'm using Debian sarge/ xen 3.0.3. The processor was an E6400 and the
system have 2Gb ram.

 I had problems with system stability, but i've solved it by testing bios
settings and by replacing the onboard network adapter. It seemed to messup
somewhat with the xen hipervisor, at leat the one from xen 3.0.2-2.

 I've not tested hvm, as I currently only run debian sarge based domU's.

 One thing to note, I was not able to install debian directly on the machine,
so i've installed using another machine, the moved the harddisk.

Regards,
Hugo