Re: [Xen-users] When will xen-compatibilty be standard in Linux kernels?

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] When will xen-compatibilty be standard in Linux kernels?
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:21:26 -0400
Cc: Jaume Sabater <jsabater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:22:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I had heard back in the spring that a politacal bruhaha had erurpted
> as to whether to accept pure Xen patches vs. generic Hypervisor
> patches.
>
> IIRC, the generic set of patches were coming from VMware or maybe MS.
>
> Was it ever settled?

VMware produced the generic patches for their VMI interface.  The
disagreements were at least partly technical regarding the approaches of the
VMI and Xen patches - both had merits and problems.  Getting competing
companies to co-operate is always interesting proposition, though, I think!

The dispute has seemingly been settled by a resolution to implement an
interface called "paravirt_ops" which can either talk to VMI (VMware) or the
Xen hypercall API.  paravirt_ops should eventually allow a single kernel
build to run on one or more hypervisors in paravirtualised mode, and natively
on hardware - with decent performance.

The plan was to push ahead with getting basic infrastructure for paravirt_ops
merged pretty quickly.

The merge process for the Xen code has been pretty slow, but it is still
planned to happen.

Cheers,
Mark

The merge window for 2.6.19 has been open for a week or so.  Anything
Xen related going in?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer