Re: [Xen-users] When will xen-compatibilty be standard in Linux kernels?

To: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] When will xen-compatibilty be standard in Linux kernels?
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:06:00 -0400
Cc: xen ml <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:06:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/13/06, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I thought I'd heard several months back that Xen compatibility patches were
going to be rolled into the mainstream linux kernel source trees, so that in
future Xen would be just another architecture one could select under make
config -- not requiring a special, patched kernel.

But this doesn't seem to be the case yet.  Did I misunderstand what the
plans were, or is it just taking longer that I expected?  Does anybody know
the expected timeline for this?  In which kernel release can we expect this?

Thanks,
Derek.

I had heard back in the spring that a politacal bruhaha had erurpted
as to whether to accept pure Xen patches vs. generic Hypervisor
patches.

IIRC, the generic set of patches were coming from VMware or maybe MS.

Was it ever settled?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer