[Xen-users] "Hotplug script not working" when enabling second hard disk

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] "Hotplug script not working" when enabling second hard disk in HVM
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:15:05 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:18:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

The next mystery in my Xen journey.

I can now run HVM guest OS (WinXP) just fine under Xen 3.0.2 with a
Linux 2.6.16.26 dom0 kernel.  (Gentoo, Intel Core2 duo, P965 chipset,
HP d4600y system).

The problem is when I try to make a second disk drive visible to the
guest OS, I get this message:

Error: Device 832 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

The only difference between the working single drive and failing
double drive configuration is one line in my configuration file, i.e.
the file I pass as a paramater to xm create.

WORKS:
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/main/win_xp_guest_domain,ioemu:hda,w' ]

FAILS with above message:
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/main/win_xp_guest_domain,ioemu:hda,w',
'phy:/dev/main/OldComputer_XPPartition.wholedisk,ioemu:hdb,w' ]
# One line:  My email program added any line break(s) you may see

In both cases, I have:
boot = "c"
Which I assume means to boot off the first disk mentioned -- the same
disk in both cases.
(I've also tried boot = "d" to boot from a CDROM image, but the
results are the same -- the 1 disk case boots just fine, but the 2
disk case gives the message identified above.)

The LVM partition called /dev/main/win_xp_guest_domain was created by
cold-installing WIndows from a CD image within an HVM domU.  It
contains an MBR, partition table, and all.

The LVM partition called /dev/main/OldComputer_XPPartition.wholedisk
is a complete whole WINXP disk (MBR, partition table, and all).

Any clues what's happening here?

Thanks,
Derek.