RE: [Xen-users] Proposal for a xen-users(/devel?) netiquette

To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>, "Geoff Streeter" <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Proposal for a xen-users(/devel?) netiquette
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:13:52 +0200
Cc: xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 03:14:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Proposal for a xen-users(/devel?) netiquette
>
> On 9/20/06, Geoff Streeter <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At 2006-09-19 20:21 +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> > >1) don't add legal privacy disclaimers to your mails - they tend to
> > >have more than 10 lines, and they aren't useful at all to solve
> > >technical problems with xen (and, by the way, also don't
> help to keep
> > >any business secret!)
> >
> > When sending email from company addresses, lots of people
> have no control
> > over these. They are added by the company SMTP server.
>
> Yeah, but if we all just accept that some brainless legal-frighened
> suits make us annoy each other with these useless disclaimers that is
> no solution.
>
> At least it shoule be stated that a list doesn't want these
> disclaimers, and everybody posting to the list should try to get rid
> of them or be less loved than the others. Everybody can use any
> freemailer - even their ads are not half as long as these disclaimers.
> And if http should be blocked (unlikely that these people find the
> mailing list), at least all these people should annoy their bosses to
> stop with this. it is not only filling lists, but the whole net.

AMD doesn't have these disclaimers, but they also don't allow
"freemailers". The previous company I worked for, which I won't name,
but it's part of a fairly large and well-known Singaporean company had
both the "no freemailers" and "Legal disclaimer" on their mailserver.
Nothing I could do about it. If I try to go to GMAIL or Yahoo-mail, I'll
get blocked by the proxy-server - even smaller, less known freemailers
are blocked. It's company policy, and there's NOTHING I can do to change
that [aside from only mailing when I'm at home...]

If you work for a LARGE corporation, you often have much less freedom
than those who work for small companies, since the organisation that
looks after the computer equipment will have more power to just overrule
anyone that has "objections" to the current system, unless you can get
some BIG BOSS to agree with you [which you can when it's got to do with
direct business, but if I were to go to an AMD VP and say "The Xen
user's mailing list is requiring that I use a free-mailer to mail to the
list, because AMD's policy doesn't match the mailing list", I'm pretty
sure I know what the answer would be... [Not that I need to use a
freemailer, as I don't think anyone has any great problem with my
mail-format or any disclaimer/footers supplied by my mailer.]

[I personally completely agree that these disclaimers are completely and
utterly useless, and I'm glad that AMD doesn't supply them!]

--
Mats