Re: [Xen-users] Proposal for a xen-users(/devel?) netiquette

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 11:17 +0100, Tom Z. Napierala wrote:

> Top-posting is bad, and there is no doubt about it. Why? We, IT people rely
> on
> logic, we are also rather busy. There is no logic in top-posting, and let me
> show you small example:
> A: Because it fscks up the flow of conversation!
> Q: Why is top-posting so bad?
> A: Top-posting!
> Q: What's the most annoying thing on email lists?

I agree 100% .. and I think its proper to politely point it out to the
poster, along with (if possible) answers to their questions. I would
hate to see folks 'snubbed' over something they weren't aware of.

Its only going to get worse as more and more people explore Xen with
less and less skill to muster into such endeavors.

My question then is if guidelines are posted clearly, and someone has
obviously not read the guidelines or cares not to follow them .. should
their question just not be answered? Link to the guide page and request
they follow them and re-submit their question?

On the flip side, someone who was diligent and trying to help themselves
first and use the list as a last resort will be frustrated and in a big
hurry by the time they get to it.. so its only natural to assume a "yeah
yeah whatever" attitude on their part when they are presented with the
guidelines.

Everything seems to be pointing at a moderated list being the best idea
or it may quickly degrade into something very silly. :)

Best -
Tim