[Xen-users] Xen 3.0/Debian Sarge/Via Samuel 2 CPU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0/Debian Sarge/Via Samuel 2 CPU
From: Mike Brodbelt <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:57:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:55:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've got a machine I'd like to run Xen on, and I'm currently not having
any luck. The machine is a based on a VIA EPIA PD6000 motherboard, with
a VIA Samuel 2 CPU. I'm using a binary of the hypervisor from
backports.org, and a Dom0 kernel build from source with the appropriate
config.

When I boot the machine, it just resets itself. The grub boot stanza is:-

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16-xen
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /xen-3.0-i386.gz
module          /vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root ro
savedefault
boot

and all I get on boot is this:-

  Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16-xen '

root  (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is xfs, partition type 0x83
kernel  /xen-3.0-i386.gz
   [Multiboot-elf, <0x100000:0x72274:0x33d8c>, shtab=0x1a6078,
entry=0x100000]
module  /vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root ro

The message above flashes up only briefly, then the machine resets (I
had to photograph the screen to actually see the whole thing). It works
fine with the same kernel config and no Xen.

I see from previous posts that the VIA Samuel 2 supports only 4Kb pages,
and this caused problems, but there was definitely a patch for Xen 2 for
this issue:-

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-12/msg00083.html

I can find nothing recent about this, which suggested to me that the
patch had been incorporated, but maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone give a
definitive answer as to whether Xen 3.0 supports my hardware, and if
not, if there are any patches still around? If it does, is there
something I'm doing wrong in the setup that's causing the problem?

TIA

Mike