[Xen-users] Packets flow from DomU to internet with private IP!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Packets flow from DomU to internet with private IP!
From: Andrew Pogrebennyk <andrew.nau.ua@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:56:50 +0300
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 01:54:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm receiving my public IP via dhcp. DomU OS has the following
configuration in /etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
/etc/networking/interfaces on Dom0 does not have any special entries.

Virtual machine config has the following options:
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:d2, bridge=xenbr0' ]
dhcp="dhcp

I have manually assigned address 192.168.1.1 to xenbr0 in Dom0, made
dhcpd3 listen on it and then booted the VM. It is able to obtain IP via
dhcp, but I doubt if I can configure a default gateway in dhcp3, so I
made it a default gateway in DomU manually.

After all, from within DomU I can ping only my public IP address and
nothing behind it. After executing Ethereal, I see that ICMP echo
requests (as well as any other IP packets generated in DomU) are being
sent to internet with a private (!) IP address 192.168.1.18. It does not
make any difference if ipv4 forwarding is enabled on Dom0 or if there
are any iptables forwarding rules like
iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-in eth0 --physdev-out '!' eth0
 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-out eth0 --physdev-in '!' eth0
 -j ACCEPT
I have tried both ways.

What could be wrong? Actually, there are no instructions on configuring
Xen with dhcp and I could have missed something important.

--
Regards,
Andrew Pogrebennyk