Re: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool
From: Jerry Amundson <jerry@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:30:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:31:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue May 30 2006 10:55, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> They are available for sale now - ok, so your local Fry's or PC World
> may not have any in stock, but they are available to buy from AMD.
>
> AMD's press-release:
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~108605
> ,00.html

Let me guess, based on the url handling (lack of)... A Microsoft e-mail
tool? :-)

I made changes with info from the above link, plus the anandtech link posted
earlier... Merged, because of course the lists don't match exactly.

> All Athlon/Opteron/Turion brand products in AM2 sockets should have SVM
> (please don't use Pacifica, as that's the internal code-name, and it is
> under copyright by some other company... The proper terms are "AMD
> Virtualization technology" or "Secure Virtual Machine", the latter
> shortened to SVM.)
>
> As the processor requires a new motherboard, there's less likelyhood for
> the trouble that some people have had with Intel systems where the
> enabling of VT doesn't work or isn't available...  As far as I know,
> there are no Rev F processors that doesn't have virtualization, aside
> from the Sempron models (which is one of the differentiating factors
> between Sempron and the more expensive models - not sure what else
> besides the obvious cache size differences... Although I can't find any
> list of differences and there's currently no AM2 docuementation on the
> Web-site, besides the simple compare products pages, which don't git
> much details, unfortunately).

So it seems "Rev F" and "socket AM2" are key pieces, in addition to model
number? And "Rev F" applies to all models?

jerry