Re: [Xen-users] Xen using Multiple Networks

To: aewert <aewert2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen using Multiple Networks
From: Bráulio Gergull <gergull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:08:19 -0300 (BRT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:08:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andrew,

On Feb 23, 2006 11:01 AM, aewert <aewert2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I administrate a server that is currently running Xen 2.0 with six
> subdomains and I have a question about running multiple physical
> networks on
> it.
>
> Currently, we have it setup on one physical network using one network
> bridge
> as follows:
>
> Server:~# brctl show
> bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
> xen-br0 8000.000c76151728 no eth0
> vif1.0
> vif2.0
> vif3.0
> vif4.0
> vif5.0
> vif6.0
>
> However, our colocation host now wants to change us from our current
> physical network to a new physical network. I would just simply
> renumber our
> IP addresses at the cost of maybe an hour of downtime, but we have our
> primary nameserver running on the server as well. So we opted to try
> and see
> if we could have our Xen machine running on both physical networks at
> once
> with little to no downtime.
>
> Our server has two ethernet ports, so we had our colocation host plug
> the
> second ethernet port in to the new physical network, but now I am
> unsure
> exactly what to do now.
>
> I had thought about making a second bridge (xen-br1) and adding the
> second
> ethernet interface (eth1) to it, and then adding all the virtual
> interfaces
> to it, but I don't know if you can add the virtual interfaces to more
> then
> one bridge. I would like to know if something like that would work
> before
> trying it on the production environment.

No, you can't.

You can, however, have two virtual interfaces in each domU, each of
which attached to a physical interface.

> In short, I would like it so that our server is on two separate
> physical
> networks using two ethernet interfaces, so that we can have our
> subdomains
> binding to IP addresses on both the old physical network and the new
> physical network.

That way you can do it.

 When moving, it'll just be a matter of changing the default route in
your VM's.

rgrds,
Braulio Gergull