[Xen-users] Xen using Multiple Networks

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen using Multiple Networks
From: aewert <aewert2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:01:56 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:02:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings,

I administrate a server that is currently running Xen 2.0 with six
subdomains and I have a question about running multiple physical networks on
it.

Currently, we have it setup on one physical network using one network bridge
as follows:

Server:~# brctl show
xen-br0         8000.000c76151728       no              eth0
                                                        vif1.0
                                                        vif2.0
                                                        vif3.0
                                                        vif4.0
                                                        vif5.0
                                                        vif6.0

However, our colocation host now wants to change us from our current
physical network to a new physical network. I would just simply renumber our
IP addresses at the cost of maybe an hour of downtime, but we have our
primary nameserver running on the server as well. So we opted to try and see
if we could have our Xen machine running on both physical networks at once
with little to no downtime.

Our server has two ethernet ports, so we had our colocation host plug the
second ethernet port in to the new physical network, but now I am unsure
exactly what to do now.

I had thought about making a second bridge (xen-br1) and adding the second
ethernet interface (eth1) to it, and then adding all the virtual interfaces
to it, but I don't know if you can add the virtual interfaces to more then
one bridge. I would like to know if something like that would work before
trying it on the production environment.

In short, I would like it so that our server is on two separate physical
networks using two ethernet interfaces, so that we can have our subdomains
binding to IP addresses on both the old physical network and the new
physical network.

Thank you for your help in advance, I would appreciate any help anyone could
offer, or suggestions on what to do.

-Andrew