Re: [Xen-users] xm list not showing guest machines as "running"

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xm list not showing guest machines as "running"
From: David Kowis <dkowis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:46:30 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:47:05 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ernst Bachmann wrote:
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 14:57, David Kowis wrote:
>>
>> as the screenshot [0] shows, my virtual machines aren't showing up as
>> running. This causes me a few problems. One being if I do xm shutdown
>> SMGL-1 it simply powers it down, it doesn't send the "shutdown signal"
>> or whatever makes it go away :) I've done a from source install using
>> the instructions mentioned [1]. Other than that it's working great. Am i
>> supposed to start some sort of daemon on the guest VM so that xm
>> list|top know that the machine is running? I'm really not sure why it's
>> not showing up as "running." Occasionally, I'll see a "b" in there, so I
>> know it's communicating somehow.
>>
>> I'm using xen 3.0.1.
>
> Its normal they don't show as running. the running flag is only set if the
> domain has ownership of a CPU just in that moment. If you run xen on a single
> CPU system, no domU can ever show as running, as the cpu is obviously
> currently in dom0, producing the xm top output.
Oh okay, well thats good then :)

> "blocked" means: that domain is waiting for some IO to complete, that is, it
> just passed a network packet / hdd request to the backend drivers and is
> waiting for the answer.
Okay, that's what I figured...

> to test the shutdown:
>
> attach to the console with "xm console ...", then issue the xm shutdown from
> another shell to see if it really does skip the shutdown process.

Oh it most definately skips. I'm seeing the login prompt and then I see
a "Power down." then I've got my dom0 console back.

from another console: xm shutdown SMGL-1

<Screen paste>
rc: Entered runlevel 3...
Entered runlevel default...

Welcome to /dev/tty1 of smgl-xen1 on Thu Feb 23  2006
Running Source Mage GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.12.6-xenU on i686
smgl-xen1 login: Power down.
root@xen:/etc/xen#
</Screen paste>

It shouldn't have done the Power Down. bit, it should've gone through
the rest of the shutdown stuff, as if I'd told it to halt.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein

  - Arthur C. Clarke