RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.0 32bit-pae (testing changeset 8270) crashes(pgt

To: "Matt Ayres" <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0.0 32bit-pae (testing changeset 8270) crashes(pgtable.c:284, kernel bug?)
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:24:18 +0100
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:35:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is why Mark Langsdorf (and probably others) have been working on an
IOMMU driver for Xen, to at least support AMD64 solutions for this type
of problem [unfortunately, the AMD IOMMU solution doesn't work on Intel
machines due to different hardware architecture :-( ].

And it's not just 3Ware that has this problem. Many, many PCI
DMA-engines are not designed to access memory above 4GB. I'd say almost
all DMA cards that haven't had the actual PCI interface redesigned in
the last two years or so, with a few exceptions on high-end SCSI and
Ethernet controllers, would have a 32-bit limit for it's physical
address. The PCI spec supports both 32- and 64-bit addressing, but it's
optional for the chip designer to implement more than 32 bits of
addressing.

--
Mats