[Xen-users] backend/vbd/domid not being removed - I have the issue, info

To: Xen Users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] backend/vbd/domid not being removed - I have the issue, info, resolution, and want to prevent the bug that allows for it!
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:58:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:09:02 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

This issue has been discussed countless times before. I am opening a new thread to help resolve a few of the cases once and for all.

The issue: When starting a VM you receive: /etc/xen/scripts/block: Device /dev/vg/lv is mounted in a guest domain, and so cannot be mounted now.

The info: Look in /var/log/xen-hotplug.log. You will see lines such as: xenstore-read: couldn't read path /local/domain/107/vm

The resolution: xenstore-rm backend/vbd/107

After this you can start the domain.

Now, what I am looking to resolve is to make the vbd never get stuck in the first place.

What do you need from me? I am tracking 3.0-testing these days. I had read that using xm destroy would sometimes not clean up the devices, but I tried switching to (and just waiting for) "xm shutdown domid --halt --wait" to avoid use of xm destroy, but that has not prevented the problem.

My only solutions are to write garbage collection scripts, but that is just a hack and not a permanent solution.

Thank you,
Matt Ayres