Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card

On Thursday 12 January 2006 10:53 am, Mark Williamson wrote:
> Windows guests (on VT / Pacifica) currently get their block / net from an
> emulator in dom0.  There are plans to improve the architecture of this for
> better performance, I imagine you'll see work on this happening this year.

yeah, i understand that for full hardware virtualization, there has to be some
hardware emulators.  i've read somewhere those are ported from Qemu.  but on
the Xen Roadmap there's some mention of some 'paravirtualized drivers' to be
installed on windows to improve performance.

also, the Qemu block drivers are limited in size, just recently there has been
some initial patches to support LBA48 (for bigger than 137GB disks).  so, i
guess the goal is to install windows with the emulated hardware and then
install the Xen-aware drivers to improve performance (and capabilities!).

> Guests that are Xen-native already get very high performance IO from the
> Xen-aware drivers.  There's an effort underway to allow unported guests to
> use these drivers for an extra performance boost - this will probably
> include Windows, at some stage.

hope this stage won't be much later... but first we have to get hold of
VT/Pacifica hardware!

--
Javier