Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen handling of graphics card
From: Jean-Eric Cuendet <jec@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:26:12 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:32:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Obviously, with a Xen-aware graphics driver, it would be possible to
solve both of these problems. It is, however, not entirely trivial to
write such a driver for a decent modern graphics card. Trust me, I used
to work for 3DLabs as a driver developer, the source code for 2D side of
the driver is several megabytes, and the 3D parts of the driver are MUCH
larger than that. And I think an nVidia or ATI driver is even larger -
at least the binary is...

So if I understand well, to solve that we need a Xen driver (the same way VMWare does) that is then used by Windows. I understand that well. IMO, accelerated graphics is not high priority, if the card can just be shared by 2 domU OSes (Linux + Windows) with decent perf (like VMWare) then Desktop with Xen is near.
Hope someone with knowledge wil do that soon!
Anyone to sponsor me to develop this? :-)
Thanks for your great answers.
-jec