Re: [Xen-users] Confused about the xen livecd 3.0

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Confused about the xen livecd 3.0
From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:48:37 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:54:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > More info: I tried the Xen 2.0.6 Live CD and got the same
> > results - the "grub>" prompt.
>
> I'm afraid this is most likely due to your system having a slightly
> flaky bios. grub tends to be less forgiving than isolinux, which is the
> more commonly used CD bootloader.  We might try and move later versions
> of the demo CD over to isolinux, but the grub problems seem to only
> affect a small minority of users, and some of them reported success with
> a bios upgrade.

On a general note, taking a peek in the Grub sources and then the
ISOLINUX sources, it seems to me that the GRUB stuff is a horrible
mess and the software itself is a bug ridden beast.  Whereas ISOLINUX
just works out of the box and the sources are well-written.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of using Grub on the demo CD?