Re: [Xen-users] Which distro for x64?

To: Adam Carheden <adam.carheden@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which distro for x64?
From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:30:39 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:36:16 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adam Carheden wrote:
> 2) Don't use a Genkernel initrd (which is acutally an initramfs), as
> initramfs doesn't seem to work with the Xen kernel.

initrd does work though, and it's a small patch to make genkernel
generate initrd's instead of initramfs's :-).  Some things do not work
with genkernel and initrd's though, I imagine because they're being
phased out and as such are not well tested.

> This means your DOM0 root fs can't be on LVM.

EVMS works for me, but as mentioned I had to do a lot of initrd tweaking.

Would have been nice if genkernel and Xen worked out of the box :-/.

> 4) When they tell you to emerge gentoo-sources, instead do:
>   echo 'app-emulation/xen ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>   echo 'sys-kernel/xen-sources ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>   emerge xen xen-sources

Seems odd to use ~x86 on an AMD64, shouldn't that be ~amd64?

I also had to modify package(s?).mask before it would let me emerge
xen-sources, I think you currently have to do that.  Quite annoying
that there is no command line parameter that will override
package.mask, grr.

HTH