Re: [Xen-users] Does xen 3 not compile with vesa support??

To: Mustafa Abbasi <lordverminard@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Does xen 3 not compile with vesa support??
From: Andrew Turnbull <abturnbull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:58:05 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:00:39 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

On 18/12/05, Mustafa Abbasi <lordverminard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i think i have finally narrowed down my problem. i think its because the xen
> kernel does not compile with vesa driver support. is this right?? i did
> compile the kernel with vesa support but that one won't even start. it just
> reboot during startup. i have 2 questions
>
> 1. do i need to make an initrd for xen 3 to have vesa support

Yes if you have compiled you kernel with vesa support as M (in menuconfig)

> 2. are the following steps ok to install a good copy of xen with vesa.

not sure but one thing I noticed is

> 1. clean install ubuntu breezy.
> 2. install the required dev tools.
> 3 mkdir xen
> 4 cd xen
> 5 tar -xvpzj ../xen-3-testing.tar.gz
> 6 cp ../linux-2.6.12.tar.gz xen3 tsting
> here's where i think the problems can start so please check this
>
> 7 make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig (enable the options ) CC=
> gcc-3.4

once you have done a make world to set everything up

you then need to go into the linux ... xen0

an type the following make menu menuconfig ARCH=xen (the ARCH=xen is important)

then cd ..

make clean && make install && make dist (but not make world)

hope that helps

Andrew