Re: [Xen-users] compiling custom kernel on 2.0 testing

To: "Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] compiling custom kernel on 2.0 testing
From: John S Little <JSLittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:43:28 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:43:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew..

"Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 12/04/2005 11:20:09 PM:

> Those instructions have never worked for me.  I have found a way that
> works though:
>
> cd linux-2.6.12-xen0
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig # or oldconfig if you want to edit .config or
> # reuse one
> make ARCH=xen
> make ARCH=xen modules_install install

Ok that works better..

> Hopefully that will work for you.  I'd like to know a way to use a
> custom dom0 or domU kernel configuration that doesn't cause the kernels
> to be built twice (first time from 'make world' with the default
> configurations, second time manually with the commands above) or make me
> have to modify the default configuration(s) in
>   xen-unstable.hg/linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/xen/configs

I had the same thought.  Maybe when/if xen becomes a part of the general
release kernel so that xen patching is not required.

> Good luck.
> Andrew

Thanks for your help.  Now if I can just figure out how to get xen-br1 to
automatically start for the second nic...

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 16:36 -0500, John S Little wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I downloaded and installed xen 2.0 testing using make world.  Make
world
> > installed kernel 2.6.12.  Following the instructions in the manual I
cd'd
> > to linux-2.6.12-xen0 and setup my .config file.  I then cd .. back to
> > xen-2.0-testing and issued make.   Rather than using the  2.6.12
kernel
> > installed with make world make started downloading the 2.6.11 kernel.
What
> > am I missing here?
Regards,

John Little