[Xen-users] RE: xen default networking setup

To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: xen default networking setup
From: Max E Baro <MEB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:39:57 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:37:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had similar problems using the default networking configuration in XEN.  The default setup uses bridged networking to link to the sub domains, but that doesn't work with traffic that has to be routed.  You need to change your XEN to use routed networking:

- in /etc/xen edit xend-config.sxp and comment out the default network scripts, then uncomment the routed network scripts:

## Use the following if VIF traffic is routed.
# The script used to start/stop networking for xend.
(network-script     network-route)
# The default script used to control virtual interfaces.
(vif-script         vif-route)

## Use the following if VIF traffic is bridged.
# The script used to start/stop networking for xend.
#(network-script    network)
# The default bridge that virtual interfaces should be connected to.
#(vif-bridge        xen-br0)
# The default script used to control virtual interfaces.
#(vif-script        vif-bridge)

- next, in  /etc/xen/scripts, you will need to customize the vif-route script to accommodate your sub domain networks

    case $vif in
        vif1.0)
          ipnet="172.16.12.0/24"
          addr="172.16.12.1"
          ;;
        vif2.0)
          ipnet="172.16.22.0/24"
          addr="172.16.22.1"
          ;;
        vif3.0)
          ipnet="172.16.32.0/24"
          addr="172.16.32.1"
          ;;
    esac

# Are we going up or down?
case $OP in
    up)
        ifconfig ${vif} ${addr} netmask 255.255.255.0 up
        echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/${vif}/proxy_arp
        iptcmd='-A'
        ipcmd='a'

- I added 'vifname=vif<x>.0' to the vif parameters in my xendomain config file to link the IP address above with the xendomain.

After these mods I can connect to and control routing of traffic between all the sub domains.

good luck,

max