Re: [Xen-users] hardware abstraction

To: Eric Jonas <jonas@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] hardware abstraction
From: Daniel Nelson <packetcollision@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:14:07 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 05:11:39 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You'll have to set up xen and the dom0 correctly on the new machine
and transfer the data, but the domUs should work on any Xen machine.

-Daniel Nelson
On 10/6/05, Eric Jonas <jonas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello! I'm considering Xen, but the machine we purchased to run our xen
> instances on won't be here until after the three day weekend; is it
> possible (with xen 2.0, using debian as the dom0) to set up a number of
> domUs (again, running debian sarge) with lvm partitions, and then once
> we get the new machine here somehow 'transfer' them over to that
> machine? The hardware is going to be quite different, with totally
> different network cards, amounts of ram, etc. I know vmware provides a
> uniform hardware abstraction to all of its clients, and I'm curious if
> xen does the same.
>
> Thanks,
>                 ...Eric

"If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have
something to do with a shortage of flowers." --Doug Larson