Re: [Xen-devel] xen patches are in 2.6.37

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen patches are in 2.6.37
From: Josip Rodin <joy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:10:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:10:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:49:57AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>  On 10/29/2010 02:46 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:36:54AM +0100, M A Young wrote:
> >> Linus has merged [...]
> >>
> > Congratulations to everyone involved!! Great job.
> >
> > So what's the next step for dom0 upstreaming? backend drivers?
>
> Yes, we need to come up with a set of backends that are upstreamable.
>
> There's also a bunch of auxillary things like ACPI power management, CPU
> hotplug, etc which need to be adapted and put through the upstreaming
> wringer.

Great work, everyone. This has been a very diligent effort.

I laughed out loud when I saw Greg's "but this isn't dom0?!" comment, though
I figured you all must have gotten really annoyed seeing that; yet it was
handled very gracefully.

> My thoughts about development from now are:
>
> Main Xen development will migrate to the (newly created) xen/next-2.6.37
> branch.  At the moment this is more or less exactly upstream, with a
> couple of little fixes added.

Are you going to make a temporary branch where you'll just slap on the
missing code (even the non-upstreamable parts), just so we can test the full
Xen dom0 stack in the current circumstances? Upstream kernel has undergone
many changes since .32 and it stands to reason that there are other bugs to
flush out, unrelated to code upstreamability.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.