Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4 only seeing one keyboard and mouse

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4 only seeing one keyboard and mouse
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:47:58 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:48:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 24/08/2010 18:10, "Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk" <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> though the mouse and keyboard still don't work.
>
> I spoke with Keir a bit and he mentioned that there was a major
> rework of the IRQs in 4.0, wherein we would store the IRQs per CPU
> structure. That is instead of having a "globally" accessible irq structure
> wherein CPUs might contend for it.

Specifically the feature is "per-CPU IDTs". This increases the system-wide
IRQ limit from ~200 to ~200*nr_cpus. However, there is an increase in
complexity in that the interrupt vector assigned to an IRQ is CPU-local, and
must be re-allocated when an IRQ's target is moved between CPUs.

The main patch is c/s 20073 by Xiantao Zhang. It is the single biggest IRQ
restructuring patch in Xen 4.0 campared with 3.4.

 -- Keir