Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0.0 first release candidate / graphics passthru

To: "Timothy J. Moore" <Timothy.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0.0 first release candidate / graphics passthru
From: Weidong Han <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:37:51 +0800
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mr. Teo En Ming \(Zhang Enming\)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>, Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:38:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Timothy J. Moore wrote:
Hang-on guys there is already basic GFX passthru functionality since XEN 3.4
(Weidong Han provided patches).

changeset 20144: http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?rev/05f3ca68f62d

You need to enable "gfx_passthru=1" in XEN config and set the
pci=['<yourgfxcardid>'] also.

The patches allow passthrough of the Primary VGA card only and will re-execute
the VGA BIOS within qemu (not the emulated Cirrus/Bochs BIOS).

This does seem to work for basic cards, ie Intel and some ATI but not NVIDIA
Cards as they still need the pBAR=vBAR patches.

I have been monitoring XEN_devel for a long time and have just tried the latest
4.0-rc2 (and manually hacked the pBAR=vBAR code in) without success .. maybe
something else has changed to stop this working ?

Weidong Han also provided patches to allow Secondary VGA passthru which Teo En
Ming was able to reproduce. It is a subset of these patches that are in XEN now
but only for the Primary card and I have not seen much testing of this
functionality on the xen-devel list.

Further development is needed but the main blocker to this whole VGA
passthrough argument is support for FLR. In each of the above cases it seems
that a reboot is needed to restore the VGA after stopping the associated DomU.

PCIe FLR (Function Level Reset) is in the PCIe 2.0 specification, XCI
(xenclient) does try to implement secondary bus resets to work around this -
but it all seems to be very vendor_specific and I have never seen my VGA card
reset and become re-usable.

How would it work with PCI or AGP cards - if at all ?
FLR is a requirement of device assignment to make sure the device is in a correct status. gfx passthrough also need to do FLR on gfx card for each assignment. XCI implements vendor specific FLR for some gfx cards (e.g. Intel IGD) if they don't support standard PCIe or PCI FLR. As I said before, many gfx cards are not virtualization friendly due to various issues, such as BIOS re-execution, FLR capability, pBAR=vBAR etc. First, let's implement a gfx passthrough framework in Xen to support vritualization friendly gfx cards, and then improve it to work with more gfx cards with clean hacks. At the same time, hope gfx vendors to improve their gfx cards to be more virtualization friendly in future.

Regards,
Weidong

Hope this helps set the scene and current status,m anyone have anything else to
add ?

Cheers,
Tim